Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bosses - Vivocity

Bosses, aka Hei Se Hui (黑澀會 - it's actually in jian ti zhi but then I can't find the jian ti on internet :( ) is this chinese restaurant which caught my attention when I went to Vivocity because there was this big sign saying that the dian xin was 50% off between 2.30pm to 5.30pm every Monday to Thursday.
I once happened to be at Vivo with my grandmother, I pointed this restaurant out to my grandmother and she said 'Aiyeer ne zhi dao hei se hui shi she mo?' and she wasn't even interested in going in.
The decor is also quite unique - black black black black black everything is quite black - black lanterns, black toilet, black table, black chair. It's actually quite nice cos all the black makes the food look more appetising cos of all the contrast - like in my pictures especially...
I went to Bosses on Wednesday, at about 5pm (just half an hour to eat) to eat tea, so I didn't order as much as I usually would. Apparently the dishes (not dian xin) are quite unique, and I'll probably come back to try it again.
Here's what we ordered:
The Signature Flowing Custard Bun (it's either Signature custard flowing bun or the other way around not too sure though). It's usually $4.50.The custard is liquid and it will spurt out if you accidentally burst your bun - I was too busy trying to stop the custard from dripping everywhere so I only managed to get this picture.
Har Gau (shrimp dumplings) $2.25 before discount. The skin was just right not too thick (yuck!) or too thin until the thing bursts open and everything drops out.

Shanghai Xiao Long Bao (6 pieces) ($3.00). I don't really like xiao long bau cos there is this very porky smell and porky taste but this one is not bad.
Sticky Rice ShuMai ($2.40) It has lots of Lap Cheong (Chinese Sausage) inside, which I suppose most people like. It's quite intersting and for a steal at about $1.20 cos of the discount - its even better.

We also ordered Mango Pomelo Sago with Palm Fruit (Attap Chee) don't know why but I think my picture got deleted accidentally. It's really good! But the price is quite steep. But the mango pomelo sago is one of the better ones that I have tried. The mango is really very fragrant, with generous chunks of mango, in a deliciously creamy and incredibly mango-ey tasting soup. The palm fruit adds this nice crunch to it. Considering that it is half price, it's really cheap ($2.25) cos the other good mango pomelo sago places that I know all cost about $3.50 and above. Next time if I'm at Vivo, I shall go and eat this dessert when there is 50% off :D yum! Too bad I don't have a picture :(

When they came around wanting to take last orders, I actually wanted to try the Signature Snowy Almond Flowing Custard Bun but then they had sold out. So next time I shall try that!

The only gripe that I have is that they don't serve water.

Bosses
No.1 Harbour Front Walk
#03-156 Vivo City
Tel 63769740

3 comments:

Dedrick said...

hello michelle, i actually find this blog rather endearing and i quite enjoy reading the light hearted prose. there are some errors though, such as vuvi city in the latest entry. perhaps in future, i might recommend some places and you could eat there and give your opinions on them too.

dedrick

Dedrick said...

oh sorry, i actually meant the last line in your previous entry as a question and not a statement. apologies.

dedrick again

m said...

yikes i didn't realise i had a typo! i've changed it already. thanks :D and yup i would like to try more new places. running out of ideas of where to go.