Sunday, May 27, 2007

Corduroy

I suddenly remembered that I had a $90 voucher floating around and since I'm prone to forgetting things, I decided to quickly use it up before it's either too late or I loose it.

It was pretty empty for a Saturday night, probably cos everyone is fighting it out in town for the GSS. If you don't want to compete for clothes, changing rooms and cashiers, and probably come down with flu cos it's so crowded and unventilated, it's best to stay far far far away from town. So we ate near my house.
The starter was complimentary freshly baked onion bread. Nice soft bread, all white no brown (good for me since I hate crust) and onions.

We tried the Spinach, Masheed Potatoes and Fried egg with truffles and truffle oil ($18). The spinach is blanched and not too soggy nor too undercooked, and it complements the creamy mashed potato which is infused with truffle oil.

I guess truffle oil is an acquired taste - when you put it into your mouth, there will be this truffle fragrance (which somehow reminds me of gas from the bunsen burner if you can't light it fast enough - but of course, truffle oil is more aromatic. It's the kind of smell that feels as if you're smelling in the back of your throat and not really in your nose). A bit like how when you drink hard liquer and the alcohol smell goes up your nose. Such a brilliant fungi...

I had a Triple Mushroom Soup ($10) because they only had the clear onion soup and mushroom soup today. I actually wanted the seafood soup. Like the crab soup I tried previously, it was very creamy, and the cream was quite overpowering. And it made me feel very full even though I hadn't even started with my main course. If you're planning on eating the soup, make sure you share it with a friend cos you won't be able to enjoy your main course!
Lots of thinly sliced mushroom - but hardly can taste anything but the cream.I made a mistake of ordering the Linguine with Mushrooms and some noiley dunno-what (it's a kind or liquer or something) but then after having the cream of mushroom soup, I really regretted ordering yet another cream tasting dish.
My family likes beef - I can't comment on these dishes cos I didn't try them. Roast beef sandwich with a side salad.

Rib eye steak, which was, according to my mum, done just right.

The potato salad was nice - reminds me a bit of the billy bombers one (which i quite like) but without bacon bits.

It was very filling and sadly, we didn't have space for dessert.

Corduroy & Finch Pte Ltd
779 Bukit Timah Road 5 3/4 m.s.
Tel 67620131

No comments: