Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Tong Shui Cafe 2

Visited Tong Shui Cafe today for dinner cos I was so bored with myself, and looking at the pictures on my blog makes me hungry.
Like when I look at the peanut butter toast, I feel like eating it, but then when I get to eat it, I don't think it's that nice (cos I don't really like peanut butter to begin with).

We ordered the Steam Egg (it's really excellent!) which only comes in the chilled version. The egg is very wobbly and smooth - no bubbles in the egg. Its topped with ginger soup, which makes it taste spicy and interesting, and ginko nuts.


Super cao ji smooth like tofu! and milky too!
Next, we tried the French Toast with Ham and Cheese.

This is quite interesting cos it's sweet and savoury - ham and cheese with maple syrup!
The toast is so soft and thick that when you cut it, it looks like cotton wool. But I didn't quite like the idea of eating my ham and cheese with maple syrup, so I ate them separately, and used the bread to mop up the excess maple syrup. Yum.
I had the Peanut Butter Thick Toast with Bananas, and I requested to have condesed milk with it. Actually, I realised that i like the Thick toast (cos i like bread) and condensed milk, but not the peanut butter. Next time, I should just ask for thick toast with condensed milk and bananas.



When I sliced the bread into half, the peanut butter and condensed milk started oozing out.
There's nothing better than to have a palate clenser in between bites of the cloying peanut butter, which "sticks to my palate and renders me speechless" (It doesn't really render me speechless, just that it makes my throat a bit dry and scratchy. Jane do you remember which book this quote is from????)

So, the best thing to drink is the 8 treasures tea. I like mine chilled. There are the usual 8 treasures (i think longan, wolfberries, tea leaves, chrysentamum, some twig thing and they add rose buds (supposed to be for YOUTHFULNESS - very good since Fish says that I'm growing old)

Just a sidenote - I was so impressed by the 8 treasures tea that I went to Eu Yuan Seng to buy one packet (gg to ask my maid to help me boil). After I paid (I think it was about $2) I stupidly asked them where the herbs came from, and the duh answer being China. But then I had thought the herbs came from Malaysia (cos it's so near Singapore and it's so simple import) and I had heard horror stories about herbs from China (nothing against Eu Yuan Seng - it's just that it's from China). So my sad packet of 8 treasures tea in herb form, in a vacuum sealed packet is still on my table. Annalisa has declined my offers to give it to her - its supposed to be very liang and good for hot days :( Any takers? It's free :D

After the toast, we ate the cheese baked rice with chicken chop. It's fried rice, baked in a steamer. It's supposed to be their signature dish and it's not bad - the fried rice is tasty and the thick layer of cheese complements the rice. The tomato sauce is unlike the kind that you get out of the bottle - it's chunky and even tangier than the usual sauce.
Tong Shui Cafe

417 River Valley Road

Singapore 248361

Tel: 67333561

No comments: