Monday, May 28, 2007

Bukit Timah Hawker Centre

Argh! I have only just realised what a retard I've been - I just realised, about 3 mins ago, that the laptop that I have been using has an SD card reader, which is what my handphone uses! Grrr i've been wasting all that time uploading photos from my hp to my black dell because the laptop can't read my hp through the cabel! GRRR



anyway, since it's now so so so so much easier to upload photos, I shall do another post before I go and read my storybook (which I just bought from Kino, it's by Haruki Murakami - the Wind Up Bird Chronicle).

Went for dinner at the Bukit Timah Hawker Center which is, again, very near my house. I don't like eating at crowded hawker centres cos they're usually dirty, hot, smelly, dirty, full of flies, crowded and wet. This one was dirty, crowded and lots of tables weren't cleared (and lots of food lying around) but thankfully there weren't any flies.
I tried the bean curd from Soyako, which is very famous - lots of newspaper clippings and photos infront of the store - but I think it's seriously overrated. Unless you're very particular about having gypsum and want soyabeans from canada, I guess that this isn't the best soyabean in Bukit Timah Hawker Center. I had the bean curd with ginko nuts and a soyabean bandung.

Soyabean Bandung, is, essentially, just soyabean and rose syrup. They're pretty heavy handed on the sugar - rose syrup is already very sweet - and the lady added a whole spoon (actually it was a small ladle) full of syrup inside, even when I already told her that I wanted less sugar. I imagine that she must have put 2 ladles of sugar if you want the normal one.

This is the bean curd (below) that my mother ate which wasn't from Soyako. It's from the stall in the last row, facing the HDB flats (right at the other end of the food centre, furthest away from the main road). The beancurd from this stall is much smoother - very silky and it was also much softer than the one from Soyako.

Obviously, I was not comparing the taste and ingredients - the sea coconut would obviously make the dish much sweeter - so I was only comparing the texture of the bean curds. Furthermore, I think that the Soyako owners are very proud, and purposely serve customers slowly so that they will perpetually have a long que infront of them.

Furthermore, I doubt that it's the end-of-the-day-bean-curd-getting-hard dip in quality - because when we went back a while later to take away bean curd from the second stall, the lady said that they finished selling the bean curd and were closing already.

Satay - 5 mutton 5 chicken. The chicken tasted slightly better than the mutton - but then there were quite alot of charred parts, which I didn't like.

Nothing fantastic, just satay. The pineapple sauce was slightly salty. My favourite satay is from Alexander Village, the Old Punggol Satay.


I was looking for the very famous bbq stingray - but sadly, I think I got the wrong stall cos this was too salty, very hard and really not fresh at all. Sigh!

Bukit Timah Hawker Center is located next to Pei Hua School, near Beauty World and Chun Tin.

No comments: